I am going to be doing a 12 Day of Blog-mas and I figured I would start out with Day 1 being about finals week (yay…)!
I am officially in finals week for my second semester of nursing school (already?!) and I just wanted to give some tips to anyone who is in nursing school or any other program and is taking finals in the next couple of weeks!
As you can imagine, nursing school is HARD! Like, seriously. It takes up a good majority of my time/energy/life/free time/etc. but I know in the end it will be so worth it! Here are a few of my tips to help you survive finals week!
- Look good, feel good!
- This is the most important tip, in my opinion. I firmly believe in the look good, feel good phenomenon. I’ve never understood those who “scrub” (no pun intended) for finals week because it makes them more comfortable. If you are like that, more power to you, but I love being able to wear normal clothes for my exams. I always try to pick out cute and low maintenance outfits when I am taking an exam.
- This is one thing that I always forget to do! It makes a huge difference when you just take a minute to take a couple of deep breaths and breathe. If you are anxious, it affects your testing ability. Being calm, or at least trying to be calm, will help reduce some of the anxiety and helps you focus better.
- Bring an essential oil or lotion with you
- A lot of people find comfort in a calming scent when they are taking exams. I know a lot of my friends who swear by lavender. I always use Stress Away by Young Living before an exam and it helps calm me down so much. I don’t know how I survived before without it…especially in nursing school!
- Don’t over study the night before
- I know this one seems a little bit silly, but seriously. Don’t over study the night before. If anything, go over test taking strategies (since ALL of the answers are correct but you have to choose the MOST correct) and brush up on some of the very basics. Don’t go super in depth and try to cram the night before. Sleep will definitely be more beneficial than cramming.
- Start studying weeks BEFORE the exam
- You should be looking over your notes on a daily basis, so when it comes time to study for the exam, its almost like you are just reviewing and not really studying. This makes such a huge difference in the way that I test when I do this!
- Take study breaks
- It makes a really big difference if you give yourself study breaks. Go over a chapter, or whatever for 30 minutes and then give yourself a break. It’s good for the mind to have a break, it helps you to retain the information better.
- Quiz yourself or have a friend quiz you
- This has been a huge help to me throughout my nursing school career. I use websites like Quizlet to help me study and it makes a huge difference. Reading practice questions help a lot too, even though they are not word-for-word like the ones on the exam, it helps to read similar questions so you can get a feel for what the exam questions will be like.
- I am so bad about eating breakfast on the days that I have class. Between getting myself ready and getting the baby ready, I feel like I never have time to eat a decent meal beforehand. I typically just go through the Starbucks drive through (Venti almond milk latte, please!) and then go on my way. It makes a huge difference though if you get some good calories in you before you test!
Stay tuned for the rest of my 12 Days of Blog-mas!